|Wholy Living Recipe|
From the Cancer Project, Recipe of the Week
A heart healthy way to start the New Year. ‘SIZZLE’ up a batch of garbanzo beans.
Make up this mix for a Romaine Wrap, Pita sandwich or good ol’ whole grain sandwich!
1. Soak several cups of garbanzo beans 8 to 24 hours. Rinse.
2. Cook in 2 quarts of water starting with high heat. When the pot Sizzles (either the original BRK or the SIZZLE), turn down the temp to low until the beans are soft. 30 to 40 minutes in the BRK or 60 to 90 minutes in the SIZZLE. Check your SIZZLE frequently for adequate water levels.
3. Test the beans for desired texture. Remove from water & cool. Use the water and some beans for delicious soup or stew.
4. Coarsely chop using the BIG MOUTH CHOPPED if you have it, then mix together
1/2 cup finely chopped or grated carrot
5. Coarsely mash the beans with a fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Place a ¼ C of mix on each lettuce leaf. Roll and secure with a toothpick.
6. Store remaining mix in the frig up to 3 days.
7. VARIATIONS: Use as a whole grain sandwich spread or in Pocket Bread adding chopped cucumber & shredded lettuce.
8. This reminds me of Falafel pockets in Israel. Freds keeps that spice mix in the natural section.
|Back to Recipe Index|